Tuesday, October 30, 2007

re: Halloween

Every year around this time something strange happens: I get asked why we don't "do" Halloween.

Yes, it's true. The Hyde family chooses not to participate in the Halloween festivities. But odds are good it's not for all the reasons you might think.

Allow me to explain, please...

First, let me say right up front that I respect your right to disagree with me on this issue. If you have prayerfully decided that you want your family to participate (in whatever fashion you choose), God bless you. I have no problem with that.

I do, on the other hand, have a problem if you're involving yourself in Halloween thoughtlessly and without prayer. I would encourage you to think through my reasons for abstaining from this national holiday. If you do so and still come to the conclusion that you want your family involved, great. At least you will have done your due diligence and sought a wise (rather than expedient) answer. We'll just have to practice the wonderful art of agreeing to disagree at that point.

Second, I also want to note that my objections to Halloween are not founded in either the pagan or the Catholic roots of this particular date on the calendar. I really don't find it all that compelling to worry about how people hundreds (if not thousands) of years ago interpreted or intended. Is it historically true that (for example) jack-o-lanterns were intended to drive away evil spirits? Yes. Is that all that relevant for our culture today? Somehow I think not.

But I do have serious concerns about Halloween. They are (in no particular order):

1) The holiday glorifies gluttony and greed. I remember my own Halloween experiences, so many years ago. I can tell you for certain that the only thing on my mind was acquiring as much candy as humanly possible, then consuming it in the least permissible amount of days (preferably by Thanksgiving). Yes, they're only children. But do we really want to encourage this kind of thinking?

2) The holiday glorifies gore. Hopefully this isn't true of the experience the littlest ones have, but surely it's true for many, many Halloween revelers. From the blood to the guts, Halloween is practically filled with the gory and the gross. As a follower of Christ, I'm not sure how this finds a place in my family. And even in the case of the little ones, how can you insure that even they won't be exposed to images altogether inappropriate (and horribly frightening)? You certainly can't control what sort of customed characters show up at your doorstep. Nor can you choose what manner of images your children might see as they go door to door.

3) The holiday glorifies sex. No, you didn't read that wrong. In my defense, I turn to two recent articles on the latest trend in pre-teen girl Halloween costumes. First, check out what the Washington Post has to say about the overtly sexual nature of so many costumes today. Many are actually being sized and marketed to girls as young as 7. Then, check out Mike Straka's take on the subject. He rightly allows for at least the possibility that pedophiles rejoice over Halloween, as well as pointing out the role parents must reclaim. [Note: I'm not comfortable with his stance on adults and Halloween, as noted at the end of the linked article.] Straka (of Fox News) provides a few links to some of the actual costumes being marketed this season. Check them out; I trust you'll find them as inappropriate as they are.

4) The holiday glorifies fear. Many people get a sort of 'high' out of being frightened. I admit I don't understand that, nor can I relate. I'm reasonably sure that God gave us the fear impulse for our protection - much the same reason He gave us pain - and that to tamper with the natural response and purpose of fear likely isn't all that wise.

You can sum it all up this way: there's nothing redemptive about Halloween. That's my default filter for working through these sorts of issues - is there anything redemptive about it? Whether I'm trying to decide upon the merits of a particular book, movie, event, or holiday for my children to be involved in, I almost always come back the question of redemptive value.

Many of the same ethical questions arise around Christmas, frankly. So why does our family celebrate that holiday (even if in an way likely very different from what's considered the norm)? Because there's great (and obvious) redemptive value within it. Same goes for Easter.

But Halloween? Forgive me if I just can't find within it the least little bit of redemptive value.

Hatushili

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. You said it well. Our 'little Tigers' said it well too, they said it represents 'the dark side!' (and no they have NOT seen Starwars!) Redemptive - that's great! We had a fun family night and they didni't even have to miss Children's Choir. :) When we gave them some candy (not mounds) they said, Mommy and Daddy you know what kind of candies we like. Strangers don't know what we like! :) God Bless!

Niall MacC said...

I agree mostly with your post. Before I was saved I couldn't have cared one way or another about Halloween, but now I see things differently. My husband and I have decided not to participate in Halloween for both the reasons of its pagan origin and for the reasons you pointed out (very well) I find that every year I am tested on this and Christmas and I have to revisit the reasons for each holiday each year! Would like to read more of your thoughts on Christmas? If you ever write them let me know? Thanks brother.

Hatushili said...

re: the lucky one: Thanks for sharing the perspective of your children. I find ours react similarly - you wouldn't know they were "missing out" on something! We make a big deal out of Reformation Day and run with it...

re: maccarthaigh family: I certainly respect those that have a hard time with Halloween due to its many pagan underpinnings. But to me, it's rather like discovering that (for example) pizza was either a) invented as part of a pagan ceremony hundreds of years ago, or b) used extensively in pagan ceremonies hundreds of years ago. If either were ever found to be true, it would change my opinion of pizza not one bit.

Having said that, certainly major holidays are a more relevant topic of thought and prayer than fast food! So I'm not trying to minimize your position; I simply don't agree.

re: Christmas - as the season gets closer, you'll surely find me blogging on the subject. We have some friends who've opted out of the holiday altogether, and I respect their position even though my perspective is a bit different.

Hatushili