Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Heaven


I was asked a question I don't think I've ever been asked the other day:

Do you think Heaven has dimensions?

And, no, I wasn't being asked by one of my young children! This was a serious question from a man struggling with an unanswered question for some time (years, from the sound of it). He had read the description of the New Jerusalem in Revelation 21 - wherein vast dimensions are listed - and took it to be a description of Heaven (not just New Jerusalem). Anyway, in doing some homework to address this question for him, I came across a very interesting verse or two...

The first appears to be the only verse in the Bible in which "Heaven" may serve as a synonym for "God".

Daniel 4:26 They said to leave the taproot of the tree, for your kingdom will be restored to you when you come to understand that heaven rules. [NET]

I suppose there's a good chance this may have been a colloquial way for Chaldeans to speak of the divine ... I'm not sure. But at least on the face of it, it looks like Heaven is simply a stand-in for God/YHWH. I read through all 457 times the NASB has "heaven", and unless I missed something this is the only such verse. At first I thought Rev 18:20 would be another such verse, but upon further consideration it merely personifies Heaven.

----

Another interesting selection of verses: Psalm 89:29 juxtaposed with Rev 21:1 and Luke 21:33. The Psalm uses parallelism to show that Heaven is eternal; the other two verses speak of the someday-coming destruction of Heaven and earth. Though these verses are not the way I'd start such a discussion, it is interesting to note that they support my contention that this present Heaven and earth will not be completely destroyed and then re-created, but will rather one day be renewed and restored.

----

Oh, and the dimensions of Heaven question? Aside from explaining that the verses in question relate specifically and clearly to a city (New Jerusalem) within Heaven, I also found a few verses that address the vastness of Heaven in general terms. Nothing at all to support actual dimensions. I leave you with these grand statements:

2 Chronicles 6:18 "But will God indeed dwell with mankind on the earth? Behold, heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain You... [NASB]

Job 22:12 "Is not God in the height of heaven? Look also at the distant stars, how high they are! [NASB]

Hatushili

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On a somewhat related topic--I hear Randy Alcorn's book on heaven, (Called, oddly enough, "Heaven") is a good book for those with curiosity/doubt/confusion about heaven. I've only read the devotional version, but my father-in-law read the book and thought it was good/though provoking, even if you don't agree with every last detail.
Nick

Hatushili said...

I know of Randy Alcorn, and though a few of his books are on my wishlist, I've yet to read anything by him. What I hear is generally good, though.

Anybody out there actually read this book?

Maybe Nick could read it and review it on this blog ... ?

Hatushili