Saturday, July 14, 2007

More Seeker-Speak

In the past, I've spent some time taking issue with some particular Seeker-speak: the language and terminology specific to Seeker-model churches. I've discussed my disdain for "excellence honor God and inspires people" here, and the notion of "relevance" here. Now I'd like to address another - "the church is the hope of the world".

I read a very interesting post over at The Ooze today. [Insert my standard "I don't recommend or often agree with The Ooze" comment here.] ...

If you'd like to read it all (and I suggest you do), here's the link. In a nutshell, the author takes issue with the mantra that (I believe) Bill Hybels first created. While I think she is somewhat missing the point that Hybels is trying to make, I agree with her in general.

Fundamentally, every single church that exists is flawed - they're all composed of (sinful) people! Of course, one could argue that Seeker-folk mean the Church is the hope of the world [which they almost seem to sometimes], but most generally they mean to paint the local church as the care-taker of the Gospel and thereby the hope of the world. But local churches are flawed. They have problems. They have dysfunction. And unless we temper the "hope of the world" mantra with this truth, we're likely setting people up for failure or heartbreak.

The more accurate truth is the Jesus is the hope of the world; His churches are merely those gathered for His service. One of the ways we serve Him is by sharing the Gospel message. But that work is often best accomplished by individuals living and moving as true Christ-followers within whatever context the LORD has placed them. Making the LORD's work fly under the banner of "the church" is perhaps just as silly as forcing it under the banner "Pastor ______" or "Denomination ______". The LORD's work is the LORD's work; our job is to come along side His work in the context He places us.

Church is great. I love the local church. I think the local church accomplishes amazing things. But Jesus - not the church - is the hope of the world.

Hatushili

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a very interesting article. She makes a good point that really does seem much more humble not to mention Biblical.

I can really, really relate to her comments:
"now that some mammoth failure has pried our eyes open, we begin noticing flaw after flaw in the way our church is organized. And before long, our dissatisfaction turns to cynicism and our cynicism to jadedness."

As of lately I have become increasingly cynical of my current circumstances (as you well know). But in the end I'm responsible before God for my own actions and how I handled the Gospel and the truths of the Bible. It's comforting to know that whatever context I find myself in, my priority at any given moment doesn’t change: it is always to glorify God.

It is encouraging to me in my own situation to think about the fact that the physical church is not the hope of the world...that kind of thinking has lead me to bitterness. Jesus is the hope of world; after reading the Ooze article and reminding myself of that thought, that knowledge has brought me a little bit of peace.

Thanks for the article...very refreshing. Big ups! (not just for today’s post but for all the work you put into this blog, it has become a highly valued source of encouragement and personal growth for me)

Hatushili said...

Glad you found something at the Ooze encouraging - I can't say that often happens to me!

Also, thanks for your kind words. I consider this blog to be a number of things - a ministry being one of them.

Hatushili