Friday, September 28, 2007

of Funerals and Friends

As you may have read here, Dan's step-father (Bill) was diagnosed with terminal cancer about a month ago. He passed away this last Sunday.

If you read the original post, you'll know that Bill came to know the Son of God a few weeks before he died. Having spent some time around him, I can say with certainty that there were definite marks of Christ's grace within him. I don't believe this to have been an insincere profession on Bill's part. I rejoice that he's now with the LORD.

Also, as some of you know, I was given the great honour of presiding over Bill's funeral services. We held a memorial service this past Tuesday at his widow's home. Many friends and family spoke, including at least four who clearly follow Jesus...

I shared briefly from Psalm 23 and the service concluded with a carry-in dinner.

The next day (Wednesday) we held a graveside ceremony for the interment of Bill's now-cremated remains. It too was a moving experience. The LORD prompted me to share from 1 Thessalonians 4, especially on Paul's admonishment to "encourage one another with these words". As yellow was Bill's favourite colour, his widow asked that all who were willing might drop a yellow flower into his grave. Yellow petals were outnumbered only by tears.

In between the services, a good friend let me stay with him and his family overnight. We had a great time, remembering the good old days and thinking about the days to come. His is also a larger than normal family (they have five beautiful children), so I felt right at home. His children - especially one of the little twins - really made me feel loved.

After the graveside service, one of Bill's children and I had a long and refreshing conversation. This young man led a life full of sin, but only a few years ago came to know and follow Christ. The change in his life is undeniable and almost unbelievable!

Thank the LORD for the opportunity to mourn when "there is a time for mourning", and for good, encouraging friends.

I appreciate all of you who knew about the situation and prayed. I can't share much of the details, but believe me when I say that it was obvious and clear that the LORD was at work throughout this entire situation.

Please continue to pray for the extensive family that Bill left behind. They need His grace and His leading. Pray especially for the few that I know to be Christ followers: Billy, Diana and Dan.

Hatushili

No comments: