Tuesday, August 28, 2007

More prayer for Dan - updated 9-7-07

My thanks to those that prayed for Dan and his family as they struggled with the death of his wife's mother last week. By all accounts, everyone is doing as well as can be expected in the wake of such an experience.

I just got a call from Dan ... it appears his step-father is about to die of lung cancer. They've given him but a few days. I understand that they're checking him out of the hospital soon and taking home ... to die.

Pray for Dan. This, more than the last death, is a spiritual war. And I can't even imagine the emotional toll of losing a mother-in-law and step-father in a span of two weeks.

LORD, thank you for your tender provision in Dan's life. Thank you for all the times in the past You've mercifully loved him, because we need times like those in our past to give us hope for the future. Guide him and direct him, LORD. When he should speak, move his very lips. When he should be silent, grip his very tongue. Most of all, may You be glorified in Dan and in this very painful situation. Amen.

Hatushili

read on for updates...



update: Here are the details directly from Dan:

"The tumultuous week continues. Today I got a call letting me know that my step father, who we recently found out was terminally ill and would pass away in 1-2 years, is going to die in the next few days. Please pray for our family as we both seek what to do and how to deal with the situation. My step father, to the best of my knowledge, is not a believer and has rejected God on several occasions. This is particularly hard for me as there are very strong memories of my mother passing away as a non-believer and all the events that surrounded it that will certainly be unearthed over the next week. I pray that I would have the fortitude of both character and emotion to respond as God would direct me and that I may have the opportunity once more to share His word with my step father. His name is Bill. He is the father to 5 children, 4 step children, and many grandchildren including our son. Thank you as always for your support."

---

update: 9-7-07 - As some of you have heard, Bill accepted Christ about a week ago! From a human perspective, it was 20 years of prayer and the witness of two sons. In reality, of course, it's a miracle of grace! Praise God!

On a more personal note, I've been asked to preside over his funeral. I spent a few hours with him and his wife a few days ago. It was a very tender time, to be honest. He's come to grips with his soon-to-be passing, but wants to get things in order, as it were. I'm honoured to be able to help in this time of need. Continue to pray for Dan, Bill, and for me.

Hatushili

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dan, I can’t imagine what you’re going through. My wife and I will most certainly continue to pray for your situation…