Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Family Sunday update

As I mentioned in this post, our church held its very first "Family Sunday" this week. For a first run, things went really well...

We started the service very casually - our worship team meandered their way up to the stage (now covered in couches and chairs) and began playing as they got there. We had a short time of corporate worship before moving to the ever-popular announcements!

I had three of our older kids do the announcements - each is in the 4th or 5th grade, and they did great! After that, I invited all the kids that would to come up on the stage with me. We had a packed stage - I'm not even sure how many kids it was, but it was most of them! I shared with them and the adults from Daniel chapter 1.

We always invite a different person each week to lead corporate prayer, but this week it was an entire family. It was wonderful to hear husband, wife and their two young girls pray over us.

From there, we moved to some more corporate worship that was kid-friendly - songs they'd been used to singing in their own KIDS church services. After that, our youth pastor spoke to the whole assembly about "springing forward" into new levels of service. Since we're all a family, each of us has to do her or his "chores", as it were.

I look forward to many more Family Sundays down the road, building and improving as we go. For those of you who've been considering something like this in your own assembly, I whole-heartedly recommend you give it a try!

Hatushili

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Family Sunday really was a great experience. It was a moving display of how the body of Christ is a diverse (in this case generationaly) family working together.
On the car ride home Kim and I were talking about how neat it was that the 1st mini-message on Daniel (really the whole service) was set up as if a family-talk that could be understood by and had value for all ages. We were both really moved by and appreciated the family service…and we don’t even have kids yet!

Hatushili said...

I'm glad to hear that at least for you two I hit the mark I was aiming for - to be relevant to a wide variety of ages. You're right, of course - that's what happens when families get together to talk about things.

We'll continue working toward expressing the body's diversity as we move forward. I'm glad you appreciated our efforts!

Hatushili