Wednesday, May 2, 2007

"Ask the Pastor" #1


Hey, look! Our first question from the "Ask the Pastor" link:

You mentioned in a post on the blog...somewhere...(albeit indirectly) that your views on drinking alcohol have changed somewhat over time. What (if I'm actually interpreting correctly) changes in your view of this issue have you experienced and what was the motivation/reason for those changes. What did you feel previously and what do you feel currently is the Biblical view of drinking (alcohol, that is)?

This one came to us from one of my best friends of all time (which is code for: he and I have been friends since I was about 10).

Anyway, my thoughts...

First of all, yes - my view on consumption of alcohol has changed some since my earlier days. I was taught in the "drinking alcohol at all is sin" model. I was schooled in all the reasons why "wine" doesn't really mean "wine" in the NT. Total abstinence was the only way to be sin-free.

My views now are different on the theological level, but not the practical. Theologically, I do not believe that the Bible speaks with sufficient clarity on the issue so as to say that 'all drinking is sin, period'. As a result, I have learned to allow people the freedom in Christ to hold a different opinion than I was taught.

On the practical level, though, I've not changed. I don't drink at all. Period. Unless you count NyQuil! My reasons for this are threefold:

1. The Bible is clear that "Wine is a mocker and strong drink is a brawler; whoever goes astray by them is not wise" Prov 20:1. Why would I voluntarily choose to associate myself with a mocker or brawler? While being in their company is not sinful of itself [though clearly being drunk is], surely wisdom would have me avoid them altogether.

2. I've come to believe that the best way to give my kids the best shot of not having an issue with alcohol down the road is to be sure that it never crosses my lips. A survey done some years ago concluded this: the only way you have any chance of your children abstaining from alcohol [which, as I've said, seem wisest to me] is to never drink alcohol yourself. Am I guaranteeing that none of my children will ever struggle in this area? Of course not; I'm just trying to set them up for success and not failure.

3. I have a family member that's an alcoholic. I've seen what it does to relationships. I want no part of it.

Rubber meets the road: if your church uses real wine for communion, that's fine with me. If real wine were presented to me during a communion service, I'm sure I'd drink it. If I come to your house and you offer me a beer, I'll politely say 'no' but have no problem with you drinking one - unless my children are with me. I prefer, for the reasons discussed above - to keep them away from that until they're old enough to talk through the issue.

Picture it this way, if you will. Imagine that the front yard of your house represents non-sinful living. The road out front represents sin. If you choose to spend significant portions of time playing on the curb, you are not in sin but are probably acting without wisdom. I'm not telling you to stay on the front porch, nor am I the final arbiter of who is and who isn't playing on the curb, nor would I tell you to get off the curb if I happen to see you their now and again. If I observe a lifestyle of what looks to me like curb-playing and I'm your friend, I'd likely talk to you about it.

Make sense? Think I'm crazy or off-base in some way?

Hatushili

No comments: