Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Devil made him do it!

Those of you that know me know that a personal pet peeve is when well-meaning Christian folk are constantly looking to blame the Devil for all of their woes. I've heard everything from "the Devil made me trip over that crack in the sidewalk" to "the Devil made my lawnmower not start" to other things I shouldn't put in print...

Here's a story that may take the proverbial cake: Texas Woman Blames Devil After Husband Burns Baby Daughter in Microwave. It's not a joke - that's an actual Fox News headline. Read the story for yourself, but here's are some of the mostly theologically astute quotes:

Said the wife:

"That was not my husband; my husband is a wonderful father," she said. "Satan was working through his weaknesses."

Or how about this one:

Satan compelled her 19-year-old husband, Joshua Royce Mauldin, to microwave their daughter May 10 because the devil disapproved of Joshua's efforts to become a preacher.

Just thought you'd enjoy wrapping your heads around this insanity, eh?

[Incidentally, though I couldn't find the actual MySpace page the article mentions, I did find this MySpace forum that is discussing the issue!]

Hatushili

No comments: