Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Presidential politics, part 1

I finally feel like I have to say something about the upcoming presidential election. Frankly, I had hoped to avoid the topic until after the first of the year. But I read something today that pushed me over the edge...

[Note: I'm calling this "part 1" not in anticipation of another specific follow-up post, but merely because I know I'll end up posting more on this broad subject later.]

Let me state my point simply and clearly up front:

I can't vote for Mitt Romney.

Yes, it's because he's a Mormon. No, it's not what you think. Let me explain.

I don't much care whether a given candidate is a Baptist (Huckabee), a Methodist (Clinton), or whatever denomination. I also don't think it's critical (though it certainly would be preferable) to elect a Christian as president. If you boil it down enough, one of the most basic things I'm looking for in a president is good judgement. Some people have it; some people don't. It's a skill that can certainly be improved with practice, but it must be present in healthy quantities in a president.

I just read an article (about Huckabee) in which the authors (a couple of women from the AP) state "He [Huckabee] also resisted wading into theology when pressed to explain why some evangelicals don't view the Mormon faith as a Christian denomination". Some evangelicals?! Some?!

Are you kidding me? I don't know of anyone within the broad camp known as Evangelicalism that would call Mormonism a "Christian denomination". There's a reason for that:

Mormonism is a cult.

So we come to why I can't vote for a Mormon, whether his name is Romney or otherwise. Anyone who's judgement is so impaired as to believe the things that Mormons believe cannot be trusted to govern these United States of America. If you haven't done your homework on this subject, you need to. Try CRI; it's an excellent (and free) source of information about many cults. For those that know nothing about Mormonism, let me at least get you started with a few of the many curious (to put it nicely) things that Mormonism teaches:

Jesus and Satan are spirit brothers.

The Negro race resulted when certain angels refused to chose sides between Satan and Jesus.

America was once covered in cities and populated by peoples that you've never heard of (Nephites and Lamanites, among others).

To really be a special Mormon, you have to wear magic underwear.

Incidentally, the last link (re: underwear) is to a blog set up specifically to educate people about Mormonism and Romney. It's new to me, but at first glance seems to be accurate. See particularly his Top Ten Extreme Beliefs page.

So ... it's not that Romney isn't a Christian. It's definitely not that he isn't my brand of Christian. It's not that his faith is "spooky" or "weird". It's that I can't vote for a candidate who's judgement is so impaired as to not be able to see Mormonism for what it is.

I'd sooner vote for an honest agnostic - one who admits they just don't know whether there is a God or not - with good judgement than a Mormon.

As I sit here, I still have no idea who'll I'll be voting for. But I know for sure some of those I won't support. Romney tops that list.

Hatushili


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Hatushili,
In general, I agree with your political/religious views re. Mr. Romney. Certainly Mormonism is a cult and a loopy one at that. However, since faith (belief) in Christ is an act of grace from God and not a product of our own good judgement (anglophiles unite!), I'm not sure that I can hold his spiritual blindness against him. Without a doubt, many of the professing Christians in the political arena are blind as well, though with a different religious upbringing or a more politically attractive church affiliation. I look for a candidate who intends to "play by the rules" of governance (i.e. the Constitution). Too many take the oath of office with every intention of breaking that oath with their initial actions. If a person is willing to respect and uphold his constitutional duties while respecting his constitutional limitations, that one should get consideration. Incidentally, I don't believe that Romney is such a man. This is the year for Texas to show us that common sense and integrity can come from one of their polititions! Ron Paul in 2008!
Haggis Breath

Hatushili said...

re: Haggis Breath - First, let me remind everyone that you have the coolest pseudo in all of cyberspace!

Second, I appreciate your affinity for Paul. I lean his way on many issues, and could definitely see myself supporting him for president... I'm just not decided yet, I guess.

But on the Mormonism issue, I have to disagree. We're not talking about some guy that got involved because he liked the "family focus" of Mormonism and doesn't really know the ins and outs of it... This is a guy that has served in fairly high leadership positions. I give you the spiritual blindness point, but we're talking about a guy that has digested a completely made up history of these United States (before they were so United, of course). The facts of Mormonism are so incredulous that for me, belief in them serves as a good litmus test of one's mental prowess.

Incidentally, do you think Paul might become the Constitution Party candidate if (when) the GOP turns him down?

Hatushili

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
Since you pointed-out the revisionist history that a Mormon leader must believe, I can see your point re. Romney. Sadly, I suspect that some view the non-evolution- believing candidates in a similar light.
The Constitution Party already endorsed Paul for President. Ideologically, he would be a good fit if he chose to go the 3rd party route; but I'm not sure if there would be time to get him on many ballots (depending upon when the jump from the GOP would occur). Plus, with his Congressional affiliation as Republican, I don't know how a 3rd party run would affect that. Perhaps God will use the independent-minded voters of N.H. to put Paul on the national radar.
Haggis Breath