Thursday, December 20, 2007

Book review: Blue Like Jazz

This won't be a review in the traditional sense. I just wanted to share some thoughts on the book, as I've just recently finished it.

As I noted before, I really enjoyed Miller's book. It's refreshingly (and sometimes brutally) honest. It's charming and funny. It's challenging and gripping. In short, it's a really well-crafted book.

I was surprised by the humor of the book, to be honest. I guess I didn't expect the book to be so funny in places...

Take this example (one of my favourites from the book):

When I was in Sunday School as a kid, my teacher put a big poster on the wall that was shaped in a circle like a target. She had us write names of people we knew who weren't Christians on little pieces of paper, and she pinned the names to the outer circle of the target. She said our goal, by the end of the year, was to move those names from the outer ring of the circle, which represented their distance from knowing Jesus, to the inner ring, which represented them having come into a relationship with Jesus. I thought the strategy was beautiful because it gave us a goal, a visual.

I didn't know any people who weren't Christians, but I was a child with a fertile imagination so I made up some names; Thad Thatcher was one and William Wonka was another. My teacher didn't believe me which I took as an insult, but nonetheless, the class was excited the very next week when both Thad and William had become Christians in a dramatic conversion experience that included the dismantling of a large satanic cult and underground drug ring. There was also levitation involved.


After I stopped laughing (and making Carmen read it!), I finished the chapter. He goes on to talk about a booth he and some friends set up on a college campus during a festival that sounds very much like Michigan's "Hash Bash"... I'll not give it away, because you should read it for yourself. But this chapter (11) was one of the most convicting things I've read in quite some time. Would that all Christians would truly "come out of the closet" (as Miller writes) as authentic and sincere followers of Christ.

As for the criticism I hear now and again that the theology of the book is weak ... it's not a theology book! Challies' review, for example, followed along the "bad theology makes for a tainted book" approach. I generally appreciate his insights, but in this case (as is often the case) he went too far. The book is basically Miller's memoirs on faith and practice. Sure, he'll say some theologically-tinted things you may or may not like. But that's OK, folks. I completely disagree with the theology criticism of Challies (and others).

If you're anything like me, this book will resonate with you in a very real way. I hope it will do more than that. I hope it will challenge both of us to live our faith in a more meaningful, moment-by-moment way before a culture that is interested in Jesus but not American Christianity.

Hatushili

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe you and your friends would enjoy reading the new book: Brown Like Coffee..I found it at brownlikecoffee.com

I loved it.

Hatushili said...

re: Brown Like Coffee - I suspect it may be worth a read, but I find the "critique" of Blue Like Jazz on the website annoying.

Here's an excerpt: "So many of the sentences started with "I" and it seemed to be a very self absorbed form of 'me Christianity'. I think it was written with a good intention and the nugget i got from it was: don't live according to rules or what others think, live for Jesus. But it felt like a subjective, feeling-based spiritual journey instead of solid biblical basis lived by the word of God and faith. Help me remember. Does Miller talk about how he drinks, smokes, cusses(?), and protests against President Bush? I kept reading and looking for radical holiness, daily devotional disciplines and bible study, commitment to the body of christ and church, bold evangelism, the making of disciples, and world missions. is it in there? I couldn't find it."

Silly at best; more likely missing the entire point.

Hatushili

Anonymous said...

Congratulationst to you two on the next little one in May! I just discovered over @ Carmen's. That's awesome. God Bless and again, Happy New Year! We're praying.