Friday, February 23, 2007

The LORD works in literary ways


Having had more than my fair share of time to reflect on the books I've been reading lately (courtesy of my ever-improving back), the LORD has brought something to my attention. So far this year, I've read books on the emerging church movement, on the Incarnational model of church, on counselling, on cross-cultural ministry, and a few other subjects. What I'm coming to see is the way they've all woven together in my soul...

So what can these varied subjects possibly have to do with one another, you might ask? Community. Authentic community. I know I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but I can't get over how the LORD has used these various books to impress upon me more and more then need for real community.

In my emerging church readings, the emphasis is on the natural desire and Biblical nature of community. Postmoderns have a greater "felt need" for attachment and community than did many of our modern parents.

In my Incarnational model readings, the emphasis has been on the "attractional" nature of genuine community. If we foster environments where real community can happen within the local church, those that the Spirit is prompting can more readily be drawn to us.

In my counselling readings, the emphasis has been on our sinful striving for independence. Independence from God can never breed genuine dependence upon one another - it cannot foster authentic community.

In my cross-cultural readings, the emphasis has been on our need to identify with a given culture if we're ever to meaningfully interact with it. We cannot create community without hard work, even within our own cultures. But especially as we seek to live in community with Christ-followers of different cultures, we must do the hard work of fostering real community.

The end result has been an ongoing development of my personal Theology of Community. Where before this journey all I could say was merely, "I personally really appreciate genuine community" (a Biblical statement, for sure), I can now say much more. Community has great value in the fundamental purposes of the local church: it aids us as we seek to "Go", as we seek to "Make Disciples", as we seek to "Love God" and as we seek to "Love our Neighbours". Community helps make us more like the image of Christ - in true community we can "enter the battle" for the soul care of one another. Community if worth the work. Hard work it is - but it's all worth it.

Moreover, we really don't have the option of authentic community if we are seeking to live as God would have it. He commands His church to live in community.

And is always the case with our Amazing LORD, when we obey His will we are most blessed ourselves.

Praise God for the genuine community of faith!

Hatushili

No comments: