Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Westwinds and the Incarnational Model

Jered had some questions about some things I talked about during Sunday School last week. He addressed them in a comment on an earlier post, but I think this conversation might get long and I'm therefore setting them into their own post. Let me take Jered's questions one at a time, and I'll welcome your thoughts thereafter. By way of context, here's part of Jered's original comment:

In Sunday school you mentioned the acrostic IPAC for the Incarnational church, Westwind, I believe. Everything about that model cried out to me; the focus on imagination and creativity, the embracing of authenticity, the empowering of the congregation to do good works, and obviously the communal focus....

First of all, yes - it was Westwinds in Jackson, MI that I was talking about. They are a self-described Emerging church. Just so we're clear, the iPAC acronym is theirs. Imagination, Permission, Authenticity, Community: iPAC. There's a flash sequence on the bottom of their homepage that visually identifies this creed.

...is the Incarnational model synonymous with emerging or missional or is it another closely related way of doing things?

Westwinds does, in my opinion, serve as a great example of the so-called Incarnational model of ministry. The Attractional model says, "Create an environment that will attract seekers and make them feel safe and comfortable". The Incarnational model says, "Create authentic community as a help to the spiritual growth of the congregation and as a testimony to God's glory; seekers, should the Spirit lead them, will see this depth and sincerity and perhaps be attracted to it (though that's not the point)". Okay, maybe nobody would actually say that, but that's my take on Incarnational.

"Missional" is not exactly the same as Incarnational. Missional describes the philosophy of ministry for the local church; Incarnational describes the philosophy of community. The two definitely overlap, but to keep the meaning of the words distinct, I'll keep this distinction a bit more academically than it might appear in reality.

"Emerging" is a very nebulous term right now. There is no single accepted definition. But for me and in this context, it is the catch-all term that sums up these two concepts: emerging churches are (by and large) both Incarnational and Missional. One can be Missional without being Emerging - the FGBC, for example. That's Fellowship of Grace Brethren Churches, for you non-Grace Seminary folk! They are decidedly Missional in their thinking, but not Emerging (though they're not all anti-Emerging).

I'd encourage all of you to poke around on Westwinds website. They are one of the more theologically orthodox of the emerging churches that I know much about. Read and see what they have to say.

And let me know what you think.

Hatushili

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice... If you haven't already, take a look at the calendar. If you drag your cursor over the name it will describe the ministry. There are some amazing things going on there almost every day, all very communal and meaningful, very nice...

Hatushili said...

I agree with you, but what do you think are the potential pitfalls of a church functioning like this?

Anonymous said...

My snow shoveling buddy and I were talking about this a little bit today while clearing out the church side walks. I suppose one potential pitfall could be spending too much time together and thus, possibly increasing the potential for contempt and annoyance among individuals. I could also see how much more easy it could be for heresies to infiltrate among the people. With all the events they had they must need gobs of people to lead and volunteer, whenever you increase the need of people in leadership I would assume the risk increases for unsaved or immature individuals to find themselves in such positions. Also, there is something about discipleship without solid biblical doctrine that feels humanistic to me. I could be wrong here. But even with all of the potentials for failure, I still feel most compelled to this model. It just seems to jive with this mental image I have of how church should work.

Hatushili said...

You've hit the nail on the head, Jered. The biggest danger, IMHO, is the introduction of heresy and/or the forcing of young and untrained "leaders" into the spotlight.

Having said that, each of us has to decide where we can Biblically "agree to disagree". For example, I'm a pretty serious advocate of (revised) Dispensationalism. But that in no way keeps me from fellowshiping and working with folk of another bent. To a lesser extent, I can and do fellowship and work with folk that are Charismatic. One of my best friends if Pentecostal - doesn't bother me at all to fellowship with him and work with him in His work.

But we must draw lines where lines must be drawn. It's just sad that the legacy of Fundamentalism (of which I was a part) is to nit-pick over so many less than critical issues. I'm trying not to let my pendulum swing too far in this regard, but mine had to swing some from where it was when I was younger.

So we're back to the same place: how do you enjoy the benefits of full and authentic community without the legitimate risk of heresy?

Hatushili

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great words about the church. I have been going to westwinds for a few years now and it is a wonderful place to learn and grow. I am also the one that does all the podcasts and web stuff. If you want to know more about what westwinds is like and what matters to us, check out the Orthodoxy on Fire series http://www.westwinds.org/podcasting/category/outpour/
thanks,
-davey

Hatushili said...

Hey Davey, how'd you find us?

re: Orthodoxy on Fire - When I was interviewing Dave (not Davey) about Westwinds, one of the things I asked him was in reference to their core beliefs. I noted that so many emerging model churches are very shaky on theology. Dave agreed, politely calling it "Biblical neglect". He then referenced his somewhat recent "Orthodoxy on Fire" series. I've not listened to them yet, but it's my understanding that broke Christianity down to 9 (?) essentials of the faith and preached through them over the course of a couple of months.

If anybody gets a chance to listen to them, let me know what you think.

re: Davey - If you don't mind my asking, what was your church background (if any) before Westwinds, and what did the Spirit use to lead you there?

Hatushili

Unknown said...

I found your site by looking at the westwinds.org reference link stats. I like to keep track of that kind of stuff. I grew up occasionally going to church and then went to a Christian university. During that time my wife and I started looking for a church that didn't make us feel brain dead or creatively dead. If it had a Thomas Kinkade on the wall it was probably not for us. We felt westwinds was a place we could grow spiritually and fit well with how we feel the Church should act.

Hatushili said...

Davey, if you're still reading this I'd be very interested in your take on my most recent post - A Model for the Local Church.

Drop a comment or shoot me an email [hatushili@yahoo.com] if you get a chance.

Hatushili