Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Last Things

No, this isn't a post about the Tribulation, the Rapture, or even eschatology in general!

I'm writing this post from the computer lab at Grace Theological Seminary... and this will be my final day on campus as a student. I'll be back here next week to graduate, but today is my last class. I still have course work to do, but this is the last day I'll actually be here on the grounds as a student.

I thought I'd reflect on Grace a bit...

I've enjoyed my time at Grace. I know I don't always act like it, but I really have. Those of you that know me know that I love being a student in general. I have a passion for reading - you can thank my Mom for that. But there are some specific things I've appreciated about Grace over the (now 8) years I've been here:

1. The campus. It's beautiful. The whole Winona Lake area is.

2. The library. It's easy to get lost in a book at the library. But it's just as easy to run into a friend and have a good conversation (as long as you're not on the top floor!).

3. The staff. There are some I've really loved that are no longer here at Grace - particularly Dr. Davis (retired) and Dr. Bateman (now at Moody). There are also some present staffers I've come to really appreciate. Deea is great - always getting me the information I need about this or that. Jessie has been particularly helpful this semester in getting together everything I need to graduate. Ryan has been a good friend and listener. Dr. Gill - for all the anti-Michigan stuff he gives me (okay, I usually start it!) I really appreciate his attitude and convictions about what seminary should be. I haven't always agreed with the direction he's provided, but I know his heart to be a good one. Dr. Bickel - what can I say, he's one of the only ones that's been here longer than me! He's been a great friend, a trusted counsellor, and a source of much wisdom and encouragement. There are more - profs that I've only just recently met and some that I've only ever passed in the hallway. But they've all been kind and caring.

4. The students. There are too many to name (that's what happens when you've been here 8 years!). I've met so many great guys here. Many of them have come from backgrounds very different than mine, but they've all shared a commitment to the Word of God and ministering for His glory. They've been a great encouragement to me. Hopefully as I've had the opportunity I've returned the favour.

I've got to admit it - this whole graduation thing is finally starting to sink in. I really haven't completely wrapped my head around it, but days like today are forcing me to face it.

I'm graduating.

I'm not "done", nor am I "ready". But I'm following His leading to ... where ever.

I'll go where you want me to go, dear Lord.

Hatushili

4 comments:

Shamgar said...

Congratulations and I look forward to seeing you next week!

By the way, now that you are super cool and spiffy (as well as Theologically and Spiritually qualified, how about an 'ask the pastor' section of your blog?

Anonymous said...

I'd like to second that motion...

Hatushili said...

Behold! What power you two command! I've added a link to email me your questions. If they're good - and if I'm qualified to address them - I'll post a question with (or without?) my thoughts...

[The link should always be at the top left corner of any page of my blog.]

Hatushili

Shamgar said...

mmmmm...power...tasty. :)

Thanks bro!