Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Missio-ditional thoughts

Yes, I know that's not a word. It's barely pronounceable, to be honest. But it fits, for the moment. If you think of something better, let me know.

Anyway, on to what I'm talking about...

I've been asked a couple of times recently about my thoughts on how Traditional model churches can be more effective at reaching postmodern people. [See some of my ramblings on postmodernity here.] I won't pretend to have real answers, but I do have some thoughts.

One of the biggest problems I think many Traditional model churches have is their definition of 'friendly'. Specifically, the way they understand the Biblical concept of 'welcoming the stranger' (see Matt 25:35, for example). In the past, being 'friendly' meant making your church building inviting. There was a time when unchurched people in a given local community might simply wake up one morning and decide to "go to church". If and when these people came to visit your facility, it was important to have a nursery, signs identifying the restrooms, bulletins to tell people what to sing and when to stand, etc... So Traditional churches (which were more or less the only model then) could honestly keep the commandment to welcome strangers by doing these things.

But times have changed. The odds of any unchurched person waking up and simply deciding to "go to church" on a whim are slim to nil. Instead, these people will never even consider going to a church - unless we welcome them in. This means we have to be where they are on a regular basis, involved in their lives, living the gospel before them. We must be asking them into the life of the church, whether through small groups, a social event, a holiday, etc... I'm convinced that this is the way we obey the command to welcome strangers today.

Sadly, many Traditional model churches have not made this switch in their thinking. They still see themselves as 'welcoming' because they are committed to smiling and shaking hands with any visitor who happens to come into the building.

But people aren't coming into the buildings much anymore.


And it's because we aren't really welcoming them anymore.

What I'm saying has a label - it's called Missional thinking. I am convinced that Missional thinking can be relevant to the Traditional model. I'll leave you to argue whether doing so would, in fact, make a Traditional model no longer a truly Traditional model.

If this has piqued your curiosity, I'd encourage you to visit Friend of Missional - just click the red logo on this page. There you'll find loads of information and lots of food for thought.

There's more that could be said on this subject - more that needs to be said, to be frank. And not just by me...

Any Christ-follower concerned about fulfilling the Great Commission in this present age should at least be conversant with this concept.

Not that I have an opinion about this or anything...

What do you think, though?

Hatushili

No comments: