Tuesday, April 17, 2007

My Big Announcement

As promised, I've got a fairly major announcement to make. But first, some context...

Good News Baptist Church (GNBC) is the assembly my family has called 'home' for the last eight years. It is what I have called a Tradition model church, and one that we've really enjoyed over the years. I haven't always personally agreed with everything that's gone on there, but who's ever agreed with everything their church family did?

As you know if you've read much of my blog, I'm not quite a Traditional model kind of guy. I'm not saying the Traditional model is bad; just that it doesn't normally fit the way I personally think ministry and church should be done.

If all this is true, then the obvious question you're likely asking is, 'Why have you attended such a church for eight years?'. There are lots of answers; let me give you a few of the biggest:

My Sunday School class. I love my Sunday School class members. I love the dynamic of the class. I love the attitude they have toward one another and toward God's Word. I love the fact that they actually listen to me!

My children. They love the AWANA ministry. They love many of the people there. Noah, my oldest, is his Sunday School teacher's (Rich Baughman) biggest fan. Rebekah, my eight year old, loves her Sparks leader (Judy Hephner). All of my children adore the Pastor.

The LORD's leading. I've long maintained that a person ought to attend the church that the LORD leads them to, and that they ought not leave that church unless the LORD specifically leads them away. It's a conviction - I can't really prove it from Scripture. But it's a personal conviction I've held for many, many years.

There are lots of additional reasons. Lots of them. But ... as you've likely guessed by now ...

... we've officially left this church.

Why? As I prepare for full-time vocational ministry myself, it's important to me to return to my roots, as it were. I need to involve myself in the ministry of a local church that more precisely fits my personal vision for how church should be done. That does not mean that I think GNBC is bad or wrong. It's just different.

I feel led by God Almighty in this direction. I had not felt this leading before, despite my differences of opinion. The LORD had things for me to learn there, and I suppose I've learned them (since He's leading me away now).

It's been a difficult and sad decision, to be honest. But at the same time it's been exciting to see God work and move in this (and so many other) way lately.

That's about all I want to say on the subject, at least for now. If you want to comment, feel free. But if you want to know more information, you'll have to email or call me personally. I welcome your continued prayers for my family as we seek His leading for the present, as well as His direction into vocational ministry.

Hatushili

No comments: