Thursday, June 28, 2007

An Unusual Book Review



I'm quite sure this is the first time I've reviewed a book by an author I personally know. In fact, I work with him every week - he's actually my part-time accountant. But as I like to point out, he's only an accountant by trade; he's an author by passion (and perhaps someday it'll pay the bills, eh?).

Nick Hayden is a great guy and a fine author. You should get to know him. Incidentally, he's likely to read this, as he reads my blog often (though rarely comments - a thousand curses upon his head!). So I'll have to be nice...

Just kidding! There's no "have to" necessary. Nick finally (after roughly two years of whining on my part) loaned me a copy of his first book, Trouble on the Horizon. I suppose I should return it to him, now that I've read it, eh?

Anyway, if you like fantasy fiction, you should read this book. Nick does a great job of putting you inside the characters, and of keeping your attention. Even though it will eventually be but book one of a longer series, this one ends tidy enough to not drive you mad about the unfinished nature of the project. [How's that coming, Nick?]

My criticism of the book (sorry, Nick, but I have to say something critical, don't I?) is limited to just two points:

a) The large number of stereotypical characters in the story. But in defense, I must add that most fantasy fic books share this problem (hence, they've become stereotypical!).

b) The occasional tendency toward over-description (read: too many adjectives).

My specific praises include the following:

a) The "Horizon" of the title isn't what you'd expect - it's one of the most interesting elements of the book, one that I hope gets explored further in the series. I can't tell you more...

b) There's an underlying - not brow-beating - spirituality about the book, much like Lewis or (especially) Tolkien.

c) It's honest to the realities of life, but yet "clean" enough to recommend to anyone over, say, 14 years old.

d) It follows more than just the traditional two (one major, one minor) story lines.

e) Its author's father signs my paychecks! Sorry, Nick - I had to say it!

Seriously, it's a good book and one that (after the series is done) I'll likely actually buy ... unless maybe Nick doesn't notice that I still have his copy!

Hatushili

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Nathan, thanks for reviewing my book. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I confess to be most insecure about this piece of writing, partly because it's old (I was just out of high school when I wrote the first draft) and partly because when people realize you've written a book, they think you know something.
It's a shame you don't like reading uncompleted series. I like the second book better. :-)
As for the third book, it's...coming...slowly...
Nick

Anonymous said...

Er..."confess to being." Where's my editor (read "wife") when I need her.
Nick

Hatushili said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Nick. One of the biggest reasons I'm not sure I'll ever write a book is precisely because I'd take every review too seriously and want to constantly respond to my critics. You're more gracious than your years would indicate.

Keep us posted on your newest book, eh? Perhaps when it's done I'll recommend it and the second to folk!

BTW, if people can buy your book from Summer long-distance, feel free to comment here with that information. Most of my readers are some distance from Kendallville, but if they can still buy from her perhaps they'd like to know how.

And now that I'm finished with shamelessly plugging a book (something Nick never does, incidentally), I'll sign off!

Hatushili

Anonymous said...

If anyone wants to order the book from Summer's Stories, (which is cheaper than Amazon, actually, in this particular case), call Summer up at 260-349-1745. She ships, and I believe it's usually free shipping.

And that's my plug for my sister.

Nick