Friday, March 23, 2007

Missional Goes Mainstream?


My wife called me this morning from the road to tell me that the local fairly-conservative Christian radio station was talking about postmodernity and missional living. I was surprised, to say the least. But the surprises were magnified once I turned on the radio...

It seems that none other than Gloria Gaither (wife of Bill Gaither) was on the radio talking about McLarens's A New Kind of Christian. I missed much of the conversation she was having with the local radio host, but I think I might see if I can find it on their website later today.

I guess it just goes to show those that think terms like "postmodern", "missional" and "emerging" are isolated to a fringe movement that they're wrong. These are terms and ideas that we all would do well to get familiar with, pull the good from and recognize the potential pitfalls of... When an icon of "good ol' gospel music" is talking about Brian McLaren in a positive way (and admits that she's read Blue Like Jazz and other emerging/missional books) perhaps we should take notice, eh?

Hatushili

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting... I'd love to hear what was said. If you find a link post it please.

Hatushili said...

If you go to the main website (wbcl.org), then click on Mid-Morning on the left side, you can navigate to Archives. Once here, search the page for "a new kind of Christian" and you'll find the link to listen.

If I could figure out how to post it directly I would!

BTW, I still haven't listened to it yet...

Hatushili