Thursday, March 1, 2007

This time it's personal



I hate to do this, since my blog has really never featured anything particularly personal about me. But I've had a number of people ask me about the veiled allusions to my back problems these last two weeks. So permit me a brief update, please.

Short version: I officially have either arthritis in, or a stuck or fused SI joint. No one is really sure exactly what the diagnosis is. The x-rays show no space between the two sides of the joint on one side - either a stuck or fused joint. There's also a good possibility that I have arthritis in the joint as a result of years of improper joint function.

The end result is pain. But the blessings have been many:

- I definitely don't have a disc problem (something I had long feared and that would likely end in surgery)
- I am no longer using crutches to get around
- I can walk just fine most of the time
- I'm seeing a decrease in required pain meds (Vicodin) every day
- I've had lots of time to read in the last 10 days
- I've gotten somewhat ahead of my class load (the most courses I've ever taken in one semester)
- I've had lots of extra time to be around my family
- My employer has been various gracious and understanding
- I met a very nice guy in my physical therapist
- Most importantly, I've been graphically reminded of my total dependence upon the Almighty

I thank you for your prayers and look forward to continuing my recovery.

Hatushili

PS: If any post in the last two weeks has been in any way lacking - blame it on the Vicodin!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim and I are still praying for you and if there is anything we can do don't forget to call us(even if the phone isn't always on.)

Hatushili said...

Thanks, JB. I know I can count on you two.

Update: I've hit a bit of a plateau in my rehab efforts, I fear. I can't seem to get below 2 Vicodin a day and enjoy life much at all. I tried (for the first time) not taking one before bed last night. Today may have been my most pain-filled day in the last 10... I continue to need and appreciate your prayers. I simply cannot "solve" this problem by becoming a Vicodin addict!

Hatushili

Hatushili said...

Update v.2.0: I've had a very good day today. One Vicodin, a fair bit of walking around, not much time on my back, and still feeling pretty good.

Maybe I've turned a corner?

Praise God for His provision - at the very worst He's given me a pleasant day!

Hatushili