Monday, August 20, 2007

Postmodernity and the Music Industry

I just read an interesting article about an independent band I'm not at all familiar with. The band's not the point; this quote is:

I think indie bands ... are becoming popular for the same reason I bought my 1904 house, and the same reason that downtown neighborhoods are gentrifying. Growing up in the age of Wal-Mart and 7-Eleven - which was the landscape of my youth - I'm craving authenticity. I think everyone is. You know, there's something real out there you can buy [speaking of music CDs], but you just have to scratch the surface to find it. I think people are sick of fakeness.

These words are from the band's 36 year old lead singer/songwriter. Further proof (as if we needed it) that cultural postmodernity is everywhere.

Hatushili

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a band?
Mary

Hatushili said...

Not me - not enough time or talent, I'm afraid. The band in question is called the Shins. I guess they're becoming reasonably popular, but I'd not heard of them until I read the article I mentioned.

Hatushili